In a perfect world, we envision a society where everyone isn’t starved for wisdom. Luckily, more online learning platforms wish to bridge the gap between ignorance and intellectual awareness. Today, we will talk about the courses offered by Britain’s leading education provider, FutureLearn, and if it is worth spending the premium price to avail their services. Let’s look at this post of FutureLearn Courses review to find out.
People say that humanity is on a never-ending quest for intelligence and may never find a conclusion to such an endeavor. Indeed, that might be the case, given that many outlets for nurturing intellect have emerged. Moreover, what comes as a surprising fact is how innovative we’ve become to achieve such goals. The invention of online learning is one of the best steps we’ve taken so far.
FutureLearn: Futureproofing E-Learners Today
There isn’t anything quite like FutureLearn when compared to competing platforms. They carry almost two hundred university partners worldwide and a substantial community background numbering in the tens of millions. If that isn’t impressive enough, you can learn anything from short courses to entire programs that offer accredited certificates and online degrees. The latter sets FutureLearn apart from the rest, as you can attain a genuine degree upon graduation.
Founded in 2012, the company continues to provide the highest quality educational tools that come not only from the best British institutes but also various American universities. As of writing, FutureLearn’s academic ties range from highly credible institutes to national museums, making for one impressive repertoire of scholarly sources for their beloved students.
FutureLearn Courses Review, A Practicality Standpoint: Value and Significance
Judging an educational provider because of the cost can sometimes be a sensitive topic relative to each learner’s budget. However, you will get to decide once you know more about the advantages and disadvantages of enrolling at FutureLearn. Moreover, these should give you a good idea in answering the question, Are FutureLearn courses worth it? without having to worry about misleading advertisements.
Advantages of FutureLearn Online Courses
Here are some key advantages of enrolling at FutureLearn:
- Course Variety – The platform offers many different courses ranging from programming to entrepreneurship to business management. More importantly, these come in short or full-length courses and even programs for online degrees. Even more exceptional is that a degree program offers a similar experience as you would with traditional learning. Finally, some of the courses come from traditional classes, as some universities saw the need to transfer online due to the pandemic.
FutureLearn offers different course types to cater to every learner.
- Short Courses/ExpertTracks
- Online Degrees
- University Partnerships – Learners looking for the highest-quality courses want the assurance that their platform provides only the best. Well, FutureLearn employs the guidance and influence of hundreds of universities around the globe to create the most relevant programs. Moreover, this answers most of the confusion behind Is FutureLearn accredited? and eliminates the need for further queries.
- University of Birmingham
- The University of Law
- City University of Hong Kong
- University of Cape Town
- Hanken School of Economics
Not only does FutureLearn boast the backing of various universities, but it has support from organizations that specialize in leading fields. While it may be relative to what career you’re trying to pursue, the platform even strives to create opportunities for influence with 5 Centres of Excellence.
- Institut Francais de la Mode (IFM)
- Glion Institute of Higher Education
- Abertay University
- Darden School of Business/University of Virginia
- HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
While there are still dozens of associate partners under FutureLearns umbrella of influence, it wouldn’t be right to name only a few as the number grows each day. The platform recognizes the benefits of establishing partnerships, so it never stops creating opportunities in doing so.
- Online Degrees – You may have heard of FutureLearn’s credible online degree program that allows students to earn degrees upon graduation. Indeed, this is the closest to traditional education you can get while learning through the comforts of home. Upon completion, a degree will yield a qualification that takes recognition internationally.
Features: Navigating Form and Functionality
One of the platform’s strengths lies in its user-friendly interface and clear course structures. Indeed, nothing is more tedious than an online learning platform that appears as complicated as its course. However, based on reviews, students prefer FutureLearn for its seamless integration of practices despite the online implementation.
For transparency, FutureLearn earns through its online courses, micro-credential programs, and degrees. Moreover, revenue-earning sources include annual subscriptions and e-learning accessories it sells through the FutureLearn shop. Surprisingly, most FutureLearn courses review articles on the internet fail to cover this aspect as it is quite sensitive.
Moving on, here are some of the steps and methods FutureLearn uses to educate learners:
- Course Deployment – After going through the payment process, you need to choose your preferred course, and it will then appear in your personal course list. On a side note, you can add more classes for future learning at any time. After activation, you have a choice between continuation, course upgrade, or leaving the program entirely.
- Media Consumption – Unlike other platforms, FutureLearn believes in keeping up with the latest trends to make learning an exciting process. Therefore, education comes in instructive videos, audiobooks, and even fun articles to read. You are often given a quiz after each lesson to ensure that information is relayed efficiently.
- Discussion – In traditional learning, a discussion can be one of the most fruitful conversations a student can have with a co-learner. Conversely, removing this element would make education feel monotonous and lifeless. As a result, FutureLearn empowers its students by giving topics that require interacting with another student. Another advantage is that commenting in the space provided below each course allows for further brainstorming in the learning space.
- Following Peers – As mentioned earlier, FutureLearn likes to keep up with current trends, especially elements of social media platforms. One of the inspirations it took from them is following peers and exciting people you think can contribute to your intellectual growth.
- Examinations – In a regular class setting, practical tests are given to students to assess their current level of learning. Likewise, with FutureLearn, you are given various tests, quizzes, and assignments, depending on the course.
- Completion – Upon graduation, paying members to receive a certificate of completion to signify their efforts. At this stage, you will also receive a degree if your chosen course offers one.
- Academic Credits – In 2016, FutureLearn announced the capability of earning credits upon completion of their programs. Indeed, this was a significant milestone in education history as it solidified that the platform was gearing up to be an industry leader. As an e-learning provider, it offers 31 MicroCredentials and various programs from leading higher education organizations. Some programs can even amount to 30 academic credits in the United Kingdom alone.
Membership and Subscription Fees: A Worthy Investment?
As we’ve discussed so far, FutureLearn indeed has a lot to offer potential students. However, it will always come down to how much you’re willing to spend on an online learning experience. Further, while the process is relatively simple, some reviews do mention that the refund system is quite bothersome to go through. However, with that being said, let’s discuss the actual cost of receiving education at FutureLearn.
- Free Membership – A free account is precisely how you imagine it, self-explanatory and straightforward. Visitors have a chance to access most of the short courses for free, at a total duration plus an additional 14 days.
- Upgraded Membership – An upgraded account ranges from $50 to $90, depending on the type of course. Interestingly, FutureLearn gives students the ability to upgrade their accounts at any time before, during, and after their courses. Finally, upgraded members have unlimited access to learning materials.
- Unlimited Membership – An unlimited account shares all the perks of Upgraded memberships while allowing students to enjoy multiple perks across different courses. Indeed, while the Unlimited Membership costs are shy of $300, you do get the benefit of choosing the highest-rated courses from experts around the world.
Finally, Microcredentials, programs, and online degrees have varying prices but expect to see prices in the 4 to the 5-digit range. It is quite an investment, but if you know what you want to gain out of studying, enrolling at FutureLearn should be worthwhile.
We are now at the final part of our review, and to answer everyone’s question of whether FutureLearn is genuinely worth the money or not, here are two arguments. First, online learning is an excellent start if you know what career to pursue and what skills to learn to achieve such a goal. Second and lastly, if FutureLearn’s prices are within your budget and you’re comfortable with spending the money, by all means, go for it!
FutureLearn online courses review is a worthwhile guide for users to learn the benefits of the platform.
At the end of the day, the platform offers more than just a temporary learning experience but a step towards safeguarding your future. Remember, people will always have different opinions regarding any matter, which makes personal experience invaluable towards making life decisions such as choosing an online learning platform. If you have the resolve to learn, FutureLearn will provide you with one of the best environments to nurture that desire.
* We sometimes use affiliate links in our content, meaning we’ll receive a commission when you buy something via links. This won’t cost you anything but it helps us to offset the costs of our editorial team and keeps this website alive.